Thursday, March 26, 2009

I shared some about my Labyrinth experience in the service. Between
the prayer emphasis at church and my seminary classes, I have been
given the opportunity to learn about and participate in many types of
prayer during this season of Lent. I still struggle though with the
same issue... RUSHING.
I will try to focus on praying and have a plan set in mind, but
then when I start to pray, I feel like I need to rush to get to the
next task. I try to make prayer fit into the same pattern that
everything else in my days fits into. For example, as I'm writing
this, I am having to use considerable effort not to rush through to
the next item on my to-do list.
This is what the Labyrinth experience did for me. It gave me a
sacred span of time in which I could focus on prayer. Walking to the
rhythm of my breath was getting me nowhere fast!! So, I took the time
to focus on what I was saying to God and open myself to hearing what
God was saying to me.
One of my professors this semester begins every section of the
class with 5 minutes of silence. And when she says silence, she means
no movement, reading, writing... nothing other than prayer and
contemplation. No, taking a quick nap doesn't count either. Talk
about uncomfortable! The first time she did it, I thought it would
NEVER end. Then, I started being creative and placing something to
read in a place that it was easily seen. Then I could cheat and read.
The last few times, I have really tried not to cheat. I still think 5
minutes may be stretching it for me, but it really does have a calming
effect on me to take a pause to focus on God and open myself to
listening.
Reflecting on this in order to share with you really made me think
that I may need to do these activities more often. I will look forward
to the series on prayer that Phil will be leading in April. Maybe I
will find a way to add a little SLOW into my prayer life.
The handout of the Labyrinth is available on the Files tab to your
right. I encourage you to try the Labyrinth. It is available in the
weight room until Easter. If you can't make it to Labyrinth, maybe you
can try silence. Share your experiences with all of us in the group.

0 comments: